The EITM Doctoral Summer School on Smart Systems for Resilient Manufacturing (SSRM) and Market Exploration offers a unique opportunity for developing innovation and entrepreneurship skills for the manufacturing world in an international setting. Participants are immersed in a stimulating learning by doing experience during which they will discuss their research results in the Summer Symposium, international lecturers provide state-of-the-art knowledge and entrepreneurship experts will guide you along a Market Exploration Bootcamp to develop innovative business ideas.
The EITM DS Summer School will be the opportunity for doctoral students and professionals alike to broaden their network with potential European partners and to boost their abilities and competencies to become entrepreneurs able to empower the sustainable manufacturing of the future.
The programme assessment is based on the evaluation of the final pitch developed on the Market Exploration Bootcamp results in front of a jury panel on the last day of the summer school.
Please refer to the program schedule brochure below for reference. A detailed edition will be published soon.
During the 2 week-period the summer school schedule will alternate different types of learning experience such as innovation & entrepreneurship activities, business industrial challenges, company visits and a social programme. The presented data will be available during the event for later use of the participant.
During the two-week Summer School in Bratislava and Prague, being part of the EIT Manufacturing Doctoral School, a seven-day Bootcamp will be organized that concentrates on helping PhD students who would like to learn about how to design and develop a business idea that connects with their thesis research, and their professional and personal background.
During the Bootcamp, students will especially focus on design thinking, design research, and related tools and techniques that will empower them to explore a market/business ecosystem where they would like to develop an entrepreneurial project. Special attention will be given to the definition of a potential problem that could be solved in the market that they are exploring, and to the validation of this problem.
The learning objectives are various that students will be immersed with. First of all, participants will meet and connect with students from different nationalities and cultures within and outside Europe, which will create an inspiring and impactful network experience. Not only PhD research experience can be shared and reinforced, but also other insights and experiences on both professional and personal levels.
The main overall learning objective, however, will be the acquisition of an immersive set of innovation skills and competencies, as participants will learn and apply different Market Exploration and Design Research techniques based on Design Thinking innovation methodology.
– Entrepreneurship skills and competencies: Learn how to identify, validate and prioritize business problems
– Creativity skills and competencies: Think systemically and map different stakeholders in the ecosystem connected to the identified problems. Especially visual design and creative communication and presentation skills will be developed
– Making value judgments and sustainability competencies: Meet and learn from the first-hand experience of startups/ companies, and learn how to value and validate with them
– Leadership skills and competencies: reinforce participant’s leadership skills through teamwork dynamics and co-creative decision-making
– Main fee: 800 €
– Students and professionals from EITM partners: 700 €
– Students from the universities belonging to the EITM doctoral school: 500 €
– Professionals from the companies belonging to EITM doctoral school SIC: 500 €
– Women students: 500 €
– Students from the RIS countries 500 €
Important: Please note the Summer School fee can be paid either by you or by a sponsor, for instance your home university, your company, etc. Please make sure to inform your sponsor, since they will sign the acceptance letter together with you.
You should be a Master of Science graduate.
The EIT Manufacturing Summer School is open to the following individuals interested in deepening their manufacturing knowledge:
– PhD students – Researchers – Professionals in manufacturing
Note: A general knowledge of engineering is needed